The rains finally came. Beginning with a storm that blew in from the ocean. Clouds peaked and grey. Lightning streaking it’s way through the layers in forks and streams. Pressure building. A few tentative drops at first. Paving the way for the rest.
Summer is usually our wet season, but his year we have seen very little. The grass has a resonating crunch when compacted and the flowers are not shinning as bright.
But at last some rain and cool reprieve.
With the sun hidden behind clouds there is a sense of seasonal change. A glimmer of whats in store over the next few weeks. I foresee many cups of tea, whilst wrapped up in knitted blankets, curled on the lounge. I’m longing for it. It’s my comfort.
And this caramel slice.
I’ve made these Salted caramel slice so many times I’ve lost count. Sweet and Salty, a perfect balance. Loved by all who devour them, perfect for the sweet tooth and an accompaniment to a hot cup of tea.
Salted Caramel Slice
2 Cans Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/2 Block Dark Chocolate
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
Big Pinch Sea Salt
1/2 cup Caster Sugar
1 Cup Dessicated Coconut
2 1/4 Cups Gluten Free Flour
175g Butter (melted and slightly cooled)
- Line a 20x30cm (9’x11′) brownie pan with silicone paper and preheat oven to 180C (160 fan forced)
- In a food processor combine caster sugar, coconut, gf flour and pulse to combine
- Add the melted butter and whiz until combined and resembles bread crumbs
- Press the base mix into the lined tin until even and compacted
- Place in the middle of the preheated oven and bake for 10-15mins or until slightly browned
- remove from oven and allow to cool slightly
- In a heat proof bowl add the cans of condensed milk, butter and salt and follow either the microwave or bain marie method of thickening the mix (to follow)
- Once thickened pour over the base and tap gently to smooth
- Place into the oven for 10 mins or until the mix just starts to brown around the edges
- Remove form the oven and allow to cool to room temperature then chill in the oven for at lease 4 hrs or over night
- Melt the chocolate gently either in a bain marie or in the microwave set on 50% add the oil and stir to combine
- pour over the chilled caramel and working quickly smooth out evenly.
- Allow to set and the cut up using a hot knife (run under hot water) cleaning after each cut.
- Store in an air tight container up to 1 week.
Place the heat proof bowl with the caramel mix in the microwave.
On 50% heat for 1 minute. Remove and stir. Repeat until the caramel just starts to bubble and thickens around 5 mins.
Bain Marie Method
Place a sauce pan with 3 cm of water in it on the stove and bring to a slow simmer.
Place the heat proof bowl with caramel mix on top of the sauce pan making sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of bowl.
Stir the caramel mix until it thickens and when stirred leaves a trail through the mix.